Monday, February 23, 2009

Academy winner AR Rahman!!!

First of all congrats to AR Rahman for winning the Oscar awards and he is the only person who got two awards in this 81st academy award. My heartily congratulations to Resul Pokkuty and the way he dedicated the award to our country. It’s really a great achievement and the way I am looking at this award is an eye opener for the world cinema saying that people in India are capable of doing anything. But I am little bit worried by the way some of the Indians are behaving regarding the Slum Dog Millionaire. The reason behind is this movie portrays the poor part of Mumbai city and people are thinking that because of this movie the west is thinking that India is poor and corrupted country. I am certainly disagree with this point since I am staying in a US and most of the normal US citizen’s whom I meet in a day to day life have told me that this is the best movie that they have seen. It’s not because of the reason it depicts the poor and corruption it’s because of the hope, and the interest that showed to understand the other culture. I am sure that the people who watched the movie here are fully involved in each and every scene and everybody wants the Jamal (Hero of the movie) to win the million bucks and the feel inside the theater was similar like“sachin hitting the six at the last ball to make India win”. Nobody has asked me that whether the whole India is like this because they knew that Indian’s are all over the world and the movie depicts one small part of country and in addition to that they knew that their own people who are suffering by poor in their own country. They were clear that the problem which was shown in this movie is not only exists in India which exists all over the world. 

I agree with most of my friends and people who are saying that if an Indian directed or produced this movie whether it would have been nominated for Oscar. I guess it may not but I believe that after these Oscars (nine Oscars which are based on Indian story) the world is looking at us and they will appreciate our work and I feel that this movie was the exposure to the whole world saying that we are also competing with Hollywood. Yes we do have enough talent and we will get more and more Oscars in the coming years. Finally I am really happy that the Smile Pinki has won the best Documentary and I am really happy that because of this movie Pinki got surgery for cleft-lip. These kinds of films are making awareness across our country even across world and it should be very much appreciated. 

After all the movie was based on a novel return by an Indian Vikas Swarup. So Please understand that no one from England came here to “show that India is bad or corrupted country” in a movie. Once again I really congratulate the award winners and I wish it will open the door for the Indian movies from the next academy award. I also wish if Danny Boyle can take a movie which shows the real glory of India of which none of the other countries have in the world then it will be great and he will be praised by the people who are criticizing him now. 
I wish Indian movie should win the best foreign category movie in the next academy award. This post is completely my personal opinion.