Monday, May 11, 2009

A fine weekend in Boston..


Boston is a popular city which is know by many people in the world because of it’s uniqueness in many things compare to other cities in US. For an instance Boston is the one of the very few cities which I knew before I come to US. It’s the place which was in top of my list that I wanted to visit after Miami (When I was preparing this list I didn’t know how to pronounce Miami). But it took almost 15 months to just visit Boston, and I have visited all the places which I had in my list before I go to Boston. Though I was keeping in mind that I have to visit Boston, it happened all the sudden. Yes, one of my colleague/Friend who came from India and was just asking about going to Boston and immediately I said yes. The reason for that is we are going to see our friend who we never met after her marriage and it’s been almost 3 years now. Though we didn’t go the next day we were able make it for the week after day we planned. One more person who was supposed to join us from the middle of our journey couldn’t make it because of his high priority work. If he could made it then the long drive could have been with some more extra fun, may be next time.

We started here around Friday 6’O clock in the evening as we planned and we had to make two stops to fuel our car and also to fuel ourselves with some coffee and burgers. With the help of Google maps we were able to reach there by just before 12.30 as we expected because I didn’t screw up much in the roads since the roads are pretty straight forward. As I already said it’s been 3 years since we met her and we got a warm welcome from our friend almost from the car door, what else you want from friend whom you are seeing after such long time. There were plenty of things to talk and in the mean time we had to taste the Vegi Pulao which is prepared by our friend with the help of her husband.

Now you can imagine who could have prepared that, I should be thankful to them that I had a good home made food. Don’t think that it’s just pulao, when you are away from home for more than 15 months and you didn’t even have a chance to eat a food from any family, when there’s no relative around you its sounds lot to me. Though we have travelled 6 hours we didn’t feel the tiredness and we were chatting and planning for few places to visit for the next and finally decided we will plan on the next day morning. Its 2 now, I just lied down and went into my dream world and one of it woke me up at 6.45 in the morning. After that I didn’t feel like sleeping though we have planned to start by 9 am. I have decided to take bath and its 7.30, like my own room I made my own coffee after searching for the sugar and coffee powder for few minutes. Its quarter after 9 and we decided to leave with a chit which has the list of places to visit in the Boston Downtown by leaving our friend’s husband in home since he is not well.

Parking is always a big problem when you planning to roam places inside the city and we planned to catch a T (sub way). The city is similar to Newyork with the subways all around and we started catching the T from Alewife station to go to the Downtown station. After we got down we visited our friends office State Street bank which is located in 1, Lincoln Street not in the State Street. This is 15th tallest building in Boston Down Town. After that we took a coffee from all our favorite DD ( Dunkin Donuts). Then We were heading towards the Mass State House and it’s so special for it’s Doom. Because the doom is completely covered with 23 k Gold and you might have seen this in the Departed movie. Then we just spent some time in the park and walked across the streets and seen some of the historical buildings but couldn’t remember their names. Then we went to the Quincy Market, one of the very crowded places in Boston and as usual there are few peoples who were running some shows in front of it. We just stopped there and we couldn’t leave the show until it ends, it was quite nice though. Next we went to the Aquarium entrance and just enquired about Whale Watching though we didn’t have plan to go and it was just one trip day and it was already over for the day. Decided to have lunch in some Indian restaurant and finally ended up getting some Paneer Roll from Mumbai (mall or something) fast food in Quincy market and had it outside market. It’s nice but I couldn’t eat more than one roll. After that we went to Aquarium to watch the I-MAX 3D show and luckily it was available for the show (Under the Sea) that we wanted to see. Since one of us didn’t visit the Aquarium we planned to go there after the show is over. Before I was entering into the theater I was planning to sleep for an hour since I have seen similar couple of weeks back. But I couldn’t even blink my eyes since the show awesome and it had completely steels my sleep. I would say it’s a must watch show.

After the show was over we were heading inside the Aquarium and we were rushing and we have completed in 30 to 40 minutes since its very small. I would not suggest going to this Aquarium, if you are really interested in fishes then plan for some other aquariums. It’s 4.30 and we were heading towards The Prudential Mall by catching the Orange T. Yes in Boston unlike Newyork the trains are called by their colors and they are also having letters and numbers if they have more than one train in the same route. Nice idea to remember the routes and it seems like they are having four color’s Red, Blue, Green and Orange.

 It’s not too often you will get a chance to view the city from 50th floor or higher than that. Yes the Prudential tower is 750ft tall with 52 floors in it and the visitors are allowed only till 50th floor. This is the second time that I am going into the high raised building after the Empire State Building. The elevator was very fast off course you had to have it when it’s more than 50 floors. This is second tallest building in Boston and we got a superb aerial view to see the whole city. 

That too when it was not crowded and when you have prerecorded audios in a player which will help you to explore what are the famous building like MIT , Harvard and the places that you are currently seeing. You will get to know lot’s of information and if you there at night with some high resolution SLR camera you can get very nice photo’s of Boston city.

We have seen the MIT from the prudential tower which is residing in the other part of the Charles river and we decided to go to MIT next. We took the Green and Red T to go the Longfellow bridge and walking over Charless river while going to visit the MIT. It was really nice experience to walk over that bridge which was constructed around 200 years ago. It’s around 7.30 and it’s getting darker still we have two places to visit which are MIT and Harvard univ. After enquiring few people we have found one entrance of the MIT and we took some snaps in front of it and decided to head back to home. We had to catch the Red T in Kendall Square to go back to the starting point of our trip which Alewife station. The train was crowded and my friend has told me that it’s because of the people who are coming back after watching the Base ball match of their home team Red Sox.

 I forgot to mention the nice view which we watched from the prudential tower. We had a chance to see the view of Fenway Park (Base Ball ground) when it was fully packed and we were lucky to see that.

Once we get down from the Red T in Alewife station it’s started raining and it’s little heavy though. We drove back home safely by following some car in front of us. And its 9:30 and we (they) were tired to prepare food and a suggestion came from our friend’s husband who was supposed to take rest which he did only after watching the CSK’s IPL match. The suggestion is to have a Pizza from Domino’s and all are agreed to that, he went and picked up the order since the door delivery was about to get delayed because of the rain. Had Pizza and chatting and watching TV while flipping thru the channel my friend was very keen to watch a movie from one of the On Demand Channel. The movie was Ransom casted by Mel Gibson and it seems like he has nominated for the best actor award in Golden Globes. It was very  nice movie and it got over quarter after 12. Since we were tired after walking for so long we decided to hit the bed and I was expecting not to have any dreams.

When I started writing this post thought of writing the whole trip in a single post itself but now when I am looking back it’s seems like bigger one so I am going to continue the next day in tomorrow’s post.